Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Christmas Sprawl

Is it just me or is the Christmas season starting sooner and sooner? Time was, the official start of the Christmas shopping season was the day after Thanksgiving. On that day, my mom and sisters and I would start early in the morning leaving our digestively recovering males behind and hit the malls and shopping centers for door busters and one-day sales.

Now you see Christmas decorations, pre-lit trees, wrapping paper, gift tags, gift bags, ornaments, greeting cards, candy, and gigantic blow-up lawn creatures even before Halloween is over. Does anyone really buy these things that far in advance? I guess marketers are telling us that we must, so we do.

The trouble with this forward creeping Christmas season? My five-year-old has been asking how long until he can open his as yet non-existent presents since he spied the first 8-foot snow globe blaring "Jingle-Bells" at Walmart back on October 15th.

It's going to be a long season.

there is no
the end

2 comments:

Tim said...

I think Costco started the trend. They always start selling swimwear around January/February, and snow shovels in August. What stinks is when they start selling back-to-school stuff in early July. Talk about a downer.

I don't mind starting Christmas season early--you get to enjoy the Christmas spirit longer. In fact, I hope they back it all the way in front of Halloween, which I absolutely despise.

Ambie said...

I firmly believe that the word "Christmas" should not even be uttered until the day after Thanksgiving, the tree goes up then and comes down promptly the day after New Years Day. Holidays should never overlap.