Friday, May 23, 2008

Can you Spare Some Change Brother ?


Lately I have noticed how the Alaskan homeless are harder and harder to identify as homeless. Thank goodness they hold those homemade signs they make on cardboard that say " homeless please help" because I never would be able to tell otherwise. Why? well lets see maybe it's the two hundred dollar North Face jackets they are wearing or the Cabelas hiking boots and the Carhart coveralls they have on. They hold their coffee and stand on the corners together in a group. They are laughing and smiling; their teeth look straight.When traffic stops the expressions change to seriousness as they gaze intently into the faces of those who will not look back. Occasionally a kindhearted middle aged woman in a beater will give some change or a couple of bucks.

At 5pm a shift change seems to occur on the corner and the the morning crew takes leave sometimes climbing on a bus, sometimes climbing into a car. Life is good. I study the scene on the way home from school almost daily. My kids are whining for a McDonald's soft cone. I don't have a dollar, not one dollar. I never do. My paychecks go directly into the bank account and noon duty's don't get tips. The Alaskan homeless do pretty good, they look healthy and happy. Ten or so years ago there was a homeless guy named Floyd. Floyd waved and smiled .. and held his sign, but Floyd went commercial and pretty soon the local newspaper claimed that Floyd had hired a manager. Chubby little Floyd was sporting a new Rolex and his new sign said "direct deposit accepted".Other creative signs seen include "looking for rich woman to support me" and "not available for work" and "no food accepted".

I suppose there is something exhilarating about having no possessions to maintain, no people to be responsible for, and to live for the day alone. It must be nice to get free meals,housing and to be able to spend all of your money on whatever you want. Hey Floyd, can you spare a dollar ?

10 comments:

ray said...

I remember that corner by the West Alaska Club where all the homeless hung out. I once saw two young girls dressed in trendy clothes with hairdos and make-up with a homeless sign. more like, free money sign.

But for all that I agree with you on this - I frequently give money to beggars. I know, I know. I'm just adding to the problem, not motivating them to work, blah, blah, blah. It comes down to this. They're asking, I've got it, I give it. it's a couple bucks. done.

Ambie said...

If I had a dollar, I might give a dollar.

the little darlings said...

so true. i admit, i've even been tempted to sit on the corner and give those sad puppy dog eyes for a couple bucks. but then i think, wait i can just do that to my hubby! Yeah, i don't get the homeless situation at all. good pic of homeless bill though.

Ambie said...

darlings, if it works so well on your hubby I'll send my teens over with puppy dog eyes too.

Cheryl said...

Luke is pretty skinny, I could send him over with his puppy eyes!!

I have to agree with your assessment of the homeless beggar outbreak! I remember how challenging it was to be at the N. Lights and Tudor intersection and see if I could sit through the couple of lights it took to get through without breaking down and dumping the ashtray. There is usually a couple of bucks in there in change; the problem is, they don't want change. They like the greenbacks!!

Great picture of Bill. I have seen him and his sign many a time at Old Seward and Dimond!! I wonder if he ever found a rich woman??

Ambie said...

I haven't seen him recently ... oh wait ! Didn't I see him shaved and shopping at Nordstroms?

Cheryl said...

That doesn't surprise me!!

SUP3RH3R0 said...

My favorite homeless sign read something like this:

See if you can hit me with a quarter.

I was really tempted, but the light changed as I grabbed for the ash tray in my car.

ray said...

Ooh, tempting. A quarter could probably do some serious damage at 50 mph. It would be fun, like a carnival game. I like the signs that say, "Who am I kidding, I need a drink. Honest."

Ambie said...

wait were you reaching for the ashtray to throw the whole ashtray ?

I mean if they didn't specify that the quarter could not be contained in anything...