Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Re-employed...and it feels so good.

Division of Labor: Part II

If I knew what Unemployment Weeks 4 and 5 were like, I would've started with them. Weeks 4 and 5 were filled with peace and productivity as my husband received two and a half job offers -one in Oregon and one and a half in Hawaii. (I know, you're wondering what a half of a job offer is. It's a verbal offer from a direct supervisor who has trouble getting the final okay from the Big Cheese. My husband actually got two of these so maybe together they make one offer.)

After careful consideration - taking into account salary, location, company size and stability, type of work, but most importantly, access to the beach - we have decided to stay in Hawaii despite taking a small (large) cut in pay.

So during Unemployment Weeks 4 and 5, my calm and rested husband was a humming machine of activity. He took the kids to school in the mornings, took on household projects during the day, then drove the kids to their sports and dance activities in the afternoon. I would've felt superfluous except I'm the only one who knows how to cook.

I thought that I would lament the day we had to go back to our traditional, Brady Bunch roles of "mother" and "father", but it actually felt "right". I don't like waking up at 5:45am to drive the kids to school or entertaining a 2-year-old for an hour in a ballet studio, but it is the role by love and the grace of God that I'm supposed to do - and that makes me happy.

...or maybe it's the money.

there is no
the end

8 comments:

Aimee said...

So happy to hear you're no longer standing in the unemployment line! Congratulations on the new job!!

Victoria McCumber said...

WooHoo! That has got to feel good! Congrats!

Heather said...

YAY!!!!!!!!!! Oh Rachael I am so happy for you!! That is just wonderful!! Buddy tried but to no avail. I guess Southern Cal laid off like 40 workers.

Cheryl said...

I am so glad to hear this news! What a load lifted!! Been there a couple of times and it's no fun!!

Kristine said...

I still think (and so does Kristen) that you should have taken the Oregon offer..... But I'm glad that weeks 4 and 5 were great, and that there won't be more weeks like them, and that you can be Carol Brady again. :)

Unknown said...

I'm very happy for you. I don't think I could ever describe you as Mrs. Brady. But my current life is also so traditional that I wonder if anyone would recognized my former self. We are moving to Idaho Falls this summer and just bought a house. But we haven't sold the one in Oklahoma yet. I'm feeling vunerable!

Moose said...

Hope to be in your situation soon....so happy for you guys!

Cathleen said...

Great News! So happy for your family. We did 16 months of unemployment after 9/11. I wouldn't wish it on anyone. Jobs are a very good thing ~ so grateful to have one and hoping it continues!