Sunday, September 6, 2009

Paro-Delight

Let's talk about obscure talents. A lot of people have them. My dad can untangle necklaces in the blink of an eye - a talent which he got from his mother who is the only person I know who can untie an inflated balloon. My brother-in-law has the uncanny ability of always finding a good parking spot. My sister-in-law has a knack (one that I lack and envy greatly) for being able to judge exactly which size of tupperware will fit the amount of leftovers.

Well, God did not pass me by when He was passing out the useless, unmarketable skills. My obscure talent is coming up with song parodies. I love it. When the radio is on and my children are trying to talk to me I can answer - rhyming too, mind you - to the tune of whatever is playing. And they hate it. I once wrote, choreographed, and directed a 30 minute road show consisting entirely of song parodies from the 70's.

Lacking any other venue through which to share it, here is my all-time favorite parody. It was inspired while I was in Japan where the bathroom light switches are outside of the bathroom and my niece accidently turned it off while I was still occupying it. It goes to the tune of "Strangers in the Night". Enjoy.


Peeing in the Dark

Peeing in the dark, without the light on,
This is kind of hard, I hope I'm right on
the toilet or you'll be, angry about your chair.

Something in the air is rather pungent.
Something on the floor, I'll need a sponge if
In choosing where to pee, I should have used more care.

Peeing in the dark.
It's close to midnight,
but I'm peeing the dark.
And there's no moonlight,
so I thought this was the lav,
Now I'll never have
The chance to clean the stain away,
a spot I can't explain away.

And ever since that night, we haven't spoken
And we're in a fight, our friendship broken
And it is all because, of peeing in the dark.

2 comments:

Aimee said...

My mom has that same skill... Not completely unmarketable, over the years she's found various ways to torture Primary, RS & YW with it (as well as her family, of course). You could be a jingle writer...

Cheryl said...

Love the song! I actually laughed outloud while reading!! You are very talented! Having enjoyed your skill first hand, I hae to agree with Aimee, you could write jingles for tv or the radio!

ON the radio here, there is a guy singing,totally monotonously, I must add, a jingle/parody on Burger King and McDonald's old jingles (hold the pickle, hold the lettuce / 2 all beef patties) It goes something like- we've got a juicy burger with lettuce and a tomato on a bun.... ( i need to hear it again to jot down the actual words.) Anyway, I almost choked when I heard it the first time, it is hilarious!

You could totally kick that jingle's booty!